Saturday, August 31, 2013

4 miles with the LA Leggers!

My first run with the LA Leggers was exciting. I arrived at 6:45 am to listen to the lecture on what they expect of us for Mid-Week Training, according to the schedule they put together for this season.

At about 7:25am, we went out to the lawn and found our pace mile group. Though I was assigned the 10 min/pace group originally, I knew they run faster at a little over a 9 minute mile pace to make up for the walking breaks. It works out to a 10 min mile pace overall. Today I joined the 10.5 min pace group and hoped this was the right run pace for me. I was feeling pretty strong until about mile 2.5…I started to really feel the heat & the humidity was getting to me. I could feel me longing & praying for the walk breaks..I knew the pace was too intense for me at this point, especially in this heat.

I completed the run, but really was struggling to keep the pace the last mile (the last bit is uphill on the SM Pier road). We ran in line, two at a time, like Noahs Arc. I have to admit though that it was a beautiful run beachside, down Ocean Ave, onto Santa Monica pier and then onto the boardwalk. We ran South all the down into the City of Venice and back. I learned the run group lingo, learned the arm signals and learned to LOVE the walk breaks, where I could drink water and catch my breath for one whole minute!

We found out at the end, our pace run was 9:45 running and paced overall at 10:15 in the first half and 10:30 second half. We did a 6:1 run/walk ratio (6 minutes run then 1 minute walk). I think I am going to drop down to the 11 min mile group next week to be able to run at a slower pace. One of mentors I talked to afterwards suggested I might want to drop down a full minute…but I am not ready to go that slow yet, I just need to see where I find a comfortable pace but I know I am not quite the 10 min mile group runner yet. But there is time….I am excited to continue and learn how to build my mileage in a safe, effective way.

6 mile run next week!
Dear God, please turn down the heat for the next one!

No comments: