Saturday, September 7, 2013

6 mile training run

I was worried about this training run this morning:  6 miles, new pace group, and the heat. 

Running slower than you typically run was really the first chance I have ever had to know how that big dog feels pulling on the leash trying to go faster. The first few miles were frustratingly slow and it felt like we stopped a lot. We ran 10 minutes and walked 1 minute for the whole six miles, up some great inclines, through the neighborhoods of Santa Monica running down the streets with 70 people two by two. 

The girl next to me was frustrated too, and twice, her and I devised a plan to sprint into the gaps up the chain closer to the front of the line. I loved it! 

What is interesting so far, is you hardly need music running with a group. You are so busy passing signals and screaming warnings down the line, (car up! car down! walker right! car door! footing!) I was grateful to have have set my running app to notify of every two miles so I had a better idea where we were in the run and know as the heat increased that we were 2/3 done with the run. The view of some amazing houses in Santa Monica is not bad either - really beautiful. 

To celebrate the 6 mile run, I went to the sporting goods store and bought me some new gear for next week!  New visor, new drinking bottles & waistband, new socks and some new under armor undies- because panty lines are never acceptable! 

Next week -  8 miles!!!! I have never run that far yet, I am a little nervous.... But given my performance today I am feeling strong.

No comments: