Saturday, August 17, 2013

Running in numbers !

Today I joined the LA Leggers! A Santa Monica based running club that trains runners to do half marathons and more specifically the LA Marathon next March. There must have been 200 people there all with the same dream and scared look on their faces. The best surprise to me - most of them were not that 'Uber fit' athlete you imagine taking on a marathon. They looked like regular people, all shapes & sizes!

I was tired (5:30 am wake up) and nervous going to the new member orientation but immediately all my fears were put to rest. I met some people, compared goals and listened to the leaders talk about how they work and what to expect. Many are simply walking the marathon, others are just slow runners with a goal…I began to feel more at ease and more like I fit in this group of hopefuls.

We then got into small groups and did a timed mile- they ask you to not race but to run a comfortable speed to carry a conversation but to be honest it is really hard not to race those around you. I had to pull myself back a couple times but still came in at 8:59 and was then put into the 10:00 min mile group. (though thankfully, I am told I can vacillate between running groups on days I feel faster or slower)

Following registration I picked up our training kit and shirt and met my minute mile leaders. Quick intros and discussion on tips for my upcoming 10k and they wished me well and gave me happy "See you in 2 weeks!"

I am both scared and excited to begin and now they have me wondering if I can take on the LA marathon next March with the rest of them...hmmm, maybe….but maybe I should take this one week at a time, no need to jump ahead of myself just yet.

And, I am off to races! Today I made a promise to myself aloud,  I WILL run that half marathon- and after that- well, hope springs eternal! 



No comments: