Saturday, August 24, 2013

Race day!

I did it! Completed my first 10k (run only) race! I feel great that I did it but there are definitely things I would do different.

First, I would not have biked 8 miles to get to the race, run 6.2 miles then bike home another 8 miles! My legs were tired before I got there and I underestimated how far it really was from home. I was tired after the race and having to do the ride home again AFTER just running a 10k - what was I thinking???

I ran the first 3 miles straight thru and afterwards did an inconsistent  run/walk the rest of the race, walking thru water stations or when I was feeling a little tired. I ran at 10 min pace first 3 miles then slowed it down after at about 3.5 miles in,  finishing the race at around 1:05 - (final race time not in yet).

There was a man in his 60's running near me keeping me motivated and was so happy running- high fiving the other old guys running as we ran past them on the other side of the street. He said I was looking strong and said he was very old, slow and likely senile but I told him he looked pretty strong to me running this race and told him if he can do it, I can do it!

I think next time I will walk more regularly and I need to work on turning off the time clock in my head.  They screamed the time at you at each mile marker, which made it hard to stop when I thought I was doing pretty good on time..I can see how running with a group or pace group could really help me get thru these in the future. Looking forward to it!

Now I am at home icing my sore knee, and made an hour & half massage appointment to celebrate!  I can't imagine how I will do that half marathon yet but good to know I am getting stronger every run! 
Best motivating race song: Jackson Five- Dancing Machine

No comments: