Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bad Run Days

Some days...your runs are just terrible. You start out stiff but usually you warm up quickly and find a stride. Not today.

Today, I began my run slow and tried to include sprints- but when I did the first sprint, I could feel my lungs heavy and I thought I was at the start of an asthma attack. I ran slower and tried to feel out how to proceed. There was some pace I was picking up but I could feel my lungs were not functioning well and it kept rattling thru my mind,  "what did I eat to cause today's asthma?"....it made no sense, and I just knew this run was going downhill quickly.

I conceded that this was going to be a bad run day. I then decided that listening to my body would be the best thing I could do now that I was out in the middle of it. However, I had to walk before I hit mile 2, and walked several more times through my run. I began to suppose at the end that perhaps bad run days exist to make the good run days shine...and just chalked it as another run- none the less. I can be better another day.

THE AHA MOMENT!: I realized on my commute into work today that a brown thick smog was laying over downtown LA- my workplace. Suddenly, it all made sense. the heavy lungs, the lack of ability to take a deep breath, I was suffering from the notorious LA SMOG day. Online Air reports supported my theory and another asthma sufferer at work confirmed they were struggling too. 

I hope it all clears out by Saturday when I must run again with the group- 4 miles. I really do not want another bad run and I don't think it's good to be out exercising in these conditions.  Fingers crossed for a nice strong breeze tomorrow to move all this out! 


Best song on bad a run day : God is a DJ- PINK

God is a DJ
Life is a dance floor
You get what you're given 
It's all how you use it

No comments: