Saturday, September 28, 2013

A rough 10 miles...

I was so pumped this morning to run my first double digit run. 10 miles! While I was excited, I also was terrified of how my body would do going that far. We started at 6:45 this morning, and my trepidation was not entirely about the mileage but the north route we were taking. I knew now from experience the inclines and hills here do a number on my knees. I was worried but hopeful today could be different.
I was reminded in mile 6 that this route was painful. I have no idea why as I run hills and inclines in Redondo Beach but somehow these hills ....they just punish my one tendon.

At mile 8 I was in pain, no longer in hills, but the damage was done and I was struggling. How was I to do the last 2 miles? A mentor told me to drop out but I pushed on (stupid) and finally at mile 9, pulled the trigger and dropped away from the group. I ran/walked the last mile back but with more walking. The pain was now shooting up my leg and it felt like my leg was going to give out underneath me.

I was so disappointed, mostly because I wanted to finish with my group...though I finished about 4-5 minutes behind them. I was mostly bummed that I missed that run that I could feel so good about, and be able to scream I DID IT! ... I feel like I am grumbling the words instead.

Stupid, right? I did it but it did not happen the way I had hoped, so I feel a little robbed of my moment.
I know I need to get over it, I did it...and that is something to be proud of anyway. And I am that much closer to that 13.1 half marathon! 


No comments: