Thursday, September 19, 2013

Recovery days

So I finally learned the hard way that recovery days are truly important. Last week I stuck to my mid-week training schedule and ran Tuesday and Thursday in preparation for my long run on Saturday. I decided to take a relaxing yoga class on my lunch on Friday, only to get into class and have the instructor ask me "where are your weights?" ....ummm, wait, ....what?!

So it appeared my 'yoga for athletes' class had been turned into a Yoga RIPPED class. Which meant it kicked my ass instead of relaxing me...my legs and arms shook after class...I was dreading my long run on Saturday.

I did the run Saturday, but was feeling pain the last 2 miles in my knee...and oh, by the way, I had a long ago scheduled 5k race on Sunday...looking back now..I should have skipped it and just recovered from the last 3 days but as you know....that is not what I did. I ran the race...or rather I limped and jogged thru the race....

My Sunday afternoon was filled with icing my knee, icing my swelling foot muscle, soaking in Epsom salt, taking Advil and elevating my feet - basically stuck couch bound. I decided not to run or exercise again for the next 3 days- icing, and soaking and stretching instead. It's hard to sit still....But It's really hard not to feel anxious when you are missing training days.

Today was my first run back, and I did an easy 3 miles just slow and steady. No pain, no swelling- so onto more advil and used some preventative ice as I drove into work. My new shoe inserts took some getting used to but I think they will help as I dare to do the long 8 miles again this weekend. Sunday will be all rest until I get on a plane to Vegas for work.

I am not going to take recovery days for granted again...I will listen when my body pushes back and made a pact with running friend that we will not push ourselves to feel obligated to do that monthly race pact if we really should be resting..we both agreed this week "isn't all this running supposed to be making us healthy? Not tearing us up!" ..Yes, We know better now!

Best song today: Run, Baby, Run by Sheryl Crow

No comments: