Friday, October 25, 2013

Highs and lows in training.

A couple weeks ago, I made an adjustment to the training plan from my running group. I cut some miles off the long runs so it was not so ramped up and I felt good about my 10 mile runs before I jumped to the 12 miler. The adjustment made sense for me and helped me mentally get up in mileage by tackling one hurdle before attempting the next.

Last weekend I had a 6 mile run but was traveling to visit friends in Vegas. Yes, that means little sleep and more drinks than usual on a weekend! In spite of this, I was determined to get my 6 miles in before I left there. I did so on Sunday morning- the heat, hangover and dehydration was already looming as I left their house for my run. I did it though and felt pretty damn good for not letting the fun take my training off schedule. Then I got home and got a virus. It settled in my chest and asthma prevailed all week. I missed work and one planned run..on the day I was just starting to feel better (but not 100%) - I attempted to run my usual 3 miles. However, I could not make it to 3 miles..my lungs hurt and my body was really tired. I was at 2.88 miles and just had to stop, I was giving in and decided to be happy with the effort instead of the mileage. I coughed the rest of the day and was physically exhausted.

This weekend I am scheduled to run 12 miles- first ever. However, I am still coughing a lot and my body is still achey and tired. Do I run Saturday? Or wait another day to recover more and attempt to run Sunday instead ? I fear this illness is going to slow down my progress or worse- I fear this weekends run will not be 12 miles as scheduled but something far less and I take a step or two back as I recover from this virus. I am worried that like the past, this virus will take a couple weeks off my plans. 

I decided if my run this weekend is bad- I may push my half marathon from the Malibu run to the PV Half run which is a week later and gives me more time to get over this thing and get back on track. But I can decide all that AFTER my long run this weekend.

Wish me luck.

No comments: